Robban A. Sica, MD
Robban A. Sica, MD graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toledo and received her doctorate from the Medical College of Ohio. Dr. Sica is the founder, president, and medical director of an innovative and very successful integrative practice of natural and alternative medicine, The Center for the Healing Arts, PC in Orange, CT. Since 1992, Dr. Sica and her affiliated clinical staff maintain a high standard of delivering truly integrative and preventive medicine and are dedicated to development of a new model for medical practice. Years of passionate study evolved into Dr. Sica’s integrative approach which is a successful model for assessing and addressing the patient’s health conditions by identifying underlying stressors originating from all aspects: spiritual, emotional, physical, and social. Dr. Sica successfully integrates her background study including holistic medicine, anti-aging, natural hormone replacement and endocrine problems, nutrition/vitamin supplementation including natural alternatives to medication, allergies and environmental medicine, heavy metal toxicity, chelation therapy, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and treatment of chronic illnesses. Dr. Sica has received certifications in Integrative, Holistic Medicine, Longevity Medicine and Clinical Metal Toxicology. She is President of the International College of Integrative Medicine and Secretary of the American Association for Health Freedom, and Vice President of the Connecticut Health Freedom Coalition. She was formerly the secretary of the American Board of Clinical Metal Toxicology and a member of the Board of Directors of the American College for Advancement in Medicine.
Accomplishments and Accolades:
- The University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio.
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Biology, 1979.
Honors: Graduated Magna cum Laude, Honors Program, Phi Kappa Phi
Honor Society, Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honorary Society.
- Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio.
- Degree: Doctor of Medicine, 1982 with Honors
- Natural Health Advocate Award from Alliance for Natural Health, April 8, 2011.
POST DOCTORAL TRAINING:
- Internship in Medicine, (1982-83). St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, CT. Rotations in medicine, neurology, and critical care.
- Residency in Psychiatry, (1983-85). The Institute of Living, Hartford, CT.
Experience in short and long term inpatient treatment, outpatient therapy, child psychotherapy, psychopharmacology, descriptive diagnosis, child psychiatry, family therapy.
- Training in Environmental Medicine, from the American Academy of Environmental Medicine and at the Environmental Health Center – Dallas (1991-92).
- Comprehensive Physician Training in Innovative Protocols for Treating Chronic Diseases, AMESPA, August 2006.
- Continuing Medical Education courses (greater than 60 hours annually: see below.)
OTHER POST-GRADUATE COURSEWORK:
- BioEnergetic Synchronization Technique (BEST) Personal & Professional Training 2011-2012.
- Bartmann Business Institute: Basic and Advanced Coursework, 2009
- Chet Holmes Institute’s Business Growth Masters Series, 2009.
- Christine Comaford’s Results Now Webinars and Seminars, 2009.
- Peak Potentials 3 Year Quantum Leap Program: including coursework on business development, marketing, management, developing successful training programs, and leadership skills. 2008-present.
- Joel Bauer’s Passion 2 Profit seminar, July 2009.
- Formula 5 Marketing Modules.
- Anthony Robbins’ Mastery University: 1997, Laguna Cliffs, CA and Kona, Hawaii.
- Sedona Training Associates Coursework.
- Interface Holistic Studies Program, Boston, Mass. (1984-85). Courses and supervision in Individual and Group Psychotherapy, Psychosynthesis, Body/Mind Therapies, and Integrative Therapeutics.
- Integrative Studies Institute, Boston, Mass. (1985-86). Additional training and supervision in Integrative Therapeutics.
- Cato Institute’s Freedom Forum, 1980, Dartmouth College.
State of Connecticut, License # 026453
- Diplomate: American Board of Chelation Therapy 1996.
- Diplomate: American Board of Clinical Metal Toxicology, 2003.
- Diplomate in Longevity Medicine: International Board of Advanced Longevity Medicine 1999.
- Certification: Integrative IV Chelation Therapy, Advanced Integrative Medical Institute, 2001.
- Diplomate: American Boardof Integrative Holistic Medicine. 2009.
- Private practice of integrative, preventive, environmental and nutritional medicine, 1985 to 1989, including consulting at:
-Health Dynamics Center, East Haven, CT, Medical Director
-Family Health Network, Stratford, CT, Consultant
-Integrated Health Center, Westport, CT, Consultant
-Westport Clinic, Westport, CT, Independent Practitioner
-Life Extension Center, Ridgefield, CT, Independent Practitioner
Founder, Owner, and Director of the Holos Health Center. (1989-92), a multi-disciplinary holistic center, Bridgeport, CT.
Founder, President, and Medical Director of the Center for the Healing Arts, PC, an integrative multi-disciplinary integrative medical practice. (1992 – present).
PRESIDENT: International College of Integrative Medicine
- Served on the Board of Directors 2004-present.
- ICIM Representative to the Integrative Medical Consortium
- Chairman of Integrative Medicine Board Certification Committee
Alliance for Natural Health-USA (formerly American Association for Health Freedom)
- Member since 1992.
- Board Member, 2006-present.
- Secretary 2007-present.
American Board of Clinical Metal Toxicology
- Secretary 2006, Board of Directors, 2006-2010.
Integrative Medical Consortium
- ICIM Representative
- Co-Chair, Board Certification Committee, 2008-2011.
Connecticut Health Freedom Coalition:
- Founding Board Member and Vice-President: 2006-present.
American College for Advancement in Medicine:
- Board of Directors: 1998-2000.
Member, Milford Chamber of Commerce.
Member since 1991, American Academy of Environmental Medicine.
Member since 1985, American Holistic Medical Association
Member, American Association of Physicians and Surgeons
Member since 1992, New Haven County Medical Association
Member since 1985, Connecticut State Medical Society
- Member, Connecticut Holistic Health Association.
- National Alliance on Integrative Medical Education: Director and Treasurer, 2001.
- American College of Integrative Medical Practitioners: Director, 2001.
- International College of Advanced Longevity Medicine, Board of Directors.
- Connection for Health Network, Board of Directors, 1996.
- Chairman: Community and Professional Liaison Committee
- American Directory of WHO’S WHO in Executives and Businesses, 1997, 1999-2000.
- Health Freedom Foundation. Director: 2005-2008.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Alternative Medicine Review: A Journal o f Clinical Therapeutics: Editorial Review Board. 1995 to present
- University of Bridgeport College of Naturopathic Medicine: Guest Instructor, Intravenous Therapy Course. 2007 to present.
- NIH TACT Trial Investigator. Completion of the Human Participants Protection Education for Research Teams, 2006-2008.
- Griffin Hospital: Member of the Preventive Medicine Advisory Committee, 1996, and the Nutritional Supplement Formulary Committee, 1997.
- Medical Consultant to Trumbull Loves Children, Inc. Child Care Program, 1993 to 1998.
- Nutrition Committee Chairman and Speaker for Trumbull Schools’ Parent Teacher Association, 1992, 1997, 1998.
- Participant in brainstorming workshop sponsored by American Holistic Centers for the development of integrative, alternative medical practices, September 1996, Phoenix, AZ.
- Consultant to Integrated Directions EtAl: Nutrition education to integrated medical practices, 1998-1999.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS:
- Panelist, “Saving a Million Hearts: Anticipating New Directions in Cardiovascular Medicine”, Lexington KY, March 29, 2012.
- Contributing Author, Chapter 15 “Freedom is Necessary to Good Health” of Why Peace, compiled & edited by Marc Guttman, MD. Published 2012.
- Contributing Author ofChapter 9, “One Diet Does Not Fit All” of Fat and Furious by Loree Taylor Jordan, CCH, ID, Madison Publishing, Campbell, CA. 2004.
- Editor of The Integrative/Environmental Medicine Standard of Care Guidelines for Increased Total Body Burden of Toxic Metals. Approved by ICIM, AAEM, ABCMT. 2004.
- Integrated Medical Alternative: 1999-2000.
Moderator of bi-weekly conference calls on integrative medical topics for professionals and the public and Author of bi-monthly newsletter.
- Guest Columnist, Health Confidential and BottomLine newsletters, 1991-1994. “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Review of Etiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment Options.”
1993 Thorne Research Lecture Series:
Long Island, NY, Stamford, CT, Santa Monica, and San Francisco, CA.
- “Thyroid and Adrenal Abnormalities in Environmental Medicine.”
American Academy of Environmental Medicine Annual Meeting,
Reno, NV, 1993.
- “Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and the Workplace: Possibilities for Rehabilitation and Return to Work.” Sponsored by the Ecological Health Organization of Connecticut (ECHO) for the Department of Rehabilitation Services at the Connecticut Hospital Association, Wallingford, CT, Jan. 1994.
- NEW DIRECTIONS: Public Access Television Series:
“Exploring Trends in The Care Of Body, Mind, And Spirit”.
Guest Speaker on two segments: “Introduction to Holistic Medicine” and “Women’s Issues and Natural Hormonal Replacement.”
New Haven, CT, 1995.
- “Alternative Approaches to Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.”
Seminar sponsored by the Hartford CFS Support Group. November, 1995.
- “An Overview of Alternative Approaches to Learning Disability and ADHD.”
56th Annual Northeast Congress of Optometry, Bedford, MA, November 10-11, 1996.
- LIFETIME Channel: “KIDS THESE DAYS.”
Guest Expert on “Asthma and Allergies.” Filmed 1996. Televised nationally.
- WELI News Talk Radio, The People’s Advocate Radio Program.
Monthly Guest Speaker with Kevin Skiest, 960 am, Hamden, CT. 1996 to 1999.
- “Exploring the Holistic and Preventive Approach to Improving and Maintaining Health.”
Committee on Geriatric Nursing Education. June 25, 1997. Meriden, CT.
- “Why the Increasing Interest in Alternative Medicine?”
New Haven Chamber of Commerce Health Care Council Meeting, August 1, 1997.
- “Integrative Medicine.”
Alzheimer’s Resource Center of Connecticut, Inc., October, 12, 1997.
- “The Zone Diet Made Easy and Your Thyroid and Other Hormones.”
(Co-presented with Dr. Barry Sears), Sponsored by the Broda O. Barnes, MD Research Foundation. January 31, 1998. Stamford, CT
- “Innovative and Integrative Medicine.”
Fairfield University’s Institute for Retired Professionals. Fairfield, CT, February 12, 1998.
- “Estimation of Tissue Hypothyroidism by a New Clinical Score: Presentation of New Research” “Atypical Laboratory Presentation in Thyroid Disease: Inaccuracies in Laboratory Data” “Clinical Integration: Balancing Hormonal Therapies”.
Broda O. Barnes Research Foundation, Inc. Annual Physicians’ Teaching Conferences: Fall 1997, Houston, TX and Spring 1998, Seattle, WA.
- “Integrative and Functional Aspects to Autism and Developmental Disorders.”
Niantic Support Group for Parents of Autistic and Developmentally Delayed Children. March 2,1998.
- “Natural Alternatives to Antibiotic Therapy.”
New Haven Chapter of Infectious Disease Nurses. Connecticut Hospital Association, Wallingford, CT, March 9, 1998.
- “Treat the Cause: Predisposing Factors to Environmental Illnesses.”
American Association of Naturopathic Physicians’ 1998 East Coast Conference. April 2-4, 1998, Boston, MA.
- Southern Connecticut State University
Guest Lecturer on longevity and integrative medicine including the Holistic Health Institute Course and other graduate courses in the School of Public Health.
New Haven, CT, 1996, 1998-2006.
- “Health Practitioners’ Symposium.”
FreeLife International Annual Convention: 1998, 1999, 2000.
- “Hot-Seat Panel”
ACAM 25th Anniversary Meeting, Phoenix AZ, Nov. 1998; Orlando, FL, May 1999.
- “Putting It All Together.”
Guest Appearance with Robert Silverstein, MD on Public Access TV, Hartford, CT. October 1, 1998.
- 1999 Zone Cruise with Dr. Barry Sears
Guest Lecturer on “Longevity Medicine” and “Natural Approach to the Endocrine System”. April 11-18, 1999.
- PBS Gary Null’s Programs: Panel of Alternative Medicine Experts
Filmed show for PBS Feb. 1999. Televised nationally throughout 1999-2000.
Filmed second segment for PBS, July 209 for release December 2009.
- WELLTV: Segment filmed November 2001.
- Citizen’s TV. New Haven, CT:
Natural Health & Healing program guest expert, 2002-present.
Touchstones program: October 2005.
- University of Bridgeport College of Naturopathic Medicine, Grand Rounds. Sept. 15, 2004.
- “Codex and Health Freedom”. International College of Integrative Medicine. Sept. 16, 2005.
- International Coalition for the Advancement of Fibromyalgia/CFIDS Treatment: “Creating an Integrative Approach to the Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”, 2006 Seminar Series Conference and Expo: August 16-19, 2006.
- Southern Connecticut State University: 16th Annual Women’s Health Conference: “Longevity and Women’s Health”. October 27, 2006.
- Healthy Talk Radio with Deborah Ray, MT, Host, March 14, 2007, February 2008, November 2008.
- International College of Integrative Medicine:
- “Integrative Medicine: Building a Consistent Model”, Speaker and Assistant Program Chair, XLVI International Congress, March 23-25, 2007. Cincinnati, OH.
- “Hypothyroidism”, XLVI International Congress, “A Symposium on Integrative Care of Female Patients”, September 21-23, 2007.
- Clinical Metal Toxicology, Basic Workshop. March 17-18, 2010, Nashville, TN.
- Speaker: Congressional Briefing on “Integrative Medicine & Nutritional Supplements”, sponsored by the Health Freedom Foundation, September 26, 2007, Washington, DC.
- “The Assault on Medical Freedom” lecture given at the Connecticut Libertarian Party Convention May 4, 2008, at the Connecticut Health Freedom Foundation March 29, 2008, and Connecticut Holistic Health Association, June 2008.
- Connecticut Liberty Forum: “Why the FDA May be Dangerous to Your Health?” September 27, 2008.
- News Channel 8, Connecticut Style: Segment on alternative allergy treatments, May 4, 2009.
- Breast Cancer Awareness MusicFest fund-raiser for the “Are You Dense” foundation, Presentation on Infrared Mammography, 2009, 2010.
- Women’s Health Issues Update, Presentation on Infrared Mammography, October 17, 2009.
Sponsored by Designs for Health Institute.
- Bridgeport Community Holistic Health Fair: Presentation on Infrared Mammography, April 10, 2010.
- Guest Speaker, New Jersey Twelve Visions Party Convention, March 19, 2011.
- Guest Speaker, Southern Connecticut State University course, “Recent Developments in Science Education”, Yale Peabody Museum, March 12, 2011.
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION: SEMINARS AND CONFERENCES
- American Holistic Medical Association:
“Psychoneuroimmunology: Immunity, Illness, and Healing.” Sept. 27-28, 1995. Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME.
- “A Holistic Approach to the Immune System:
An In-Depth Review of Nutritional, Environmental, and Stress-Related Factors.” July 3-7, 1989. Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
- The Connecticut Hospice Institute:
“Bereavement Support in the Hospice Continuum of Care.” May 22-23, 1986. Branford, CT.
- The Institute for the Advancement of Human Behavior:
“The Power of Laughter and Play: Uses of Humor in the Healing Arts.” October 17-19, 1986. Toronto, Ontario.
- Newington Children’s Hospital:
“Third Annual Conference on Eating Disorders: Medical Management and Physiological Complications of Eating Disorders.” December 1988.
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University:
“Cholesterol and Coronary Disease; Reducing the Risk.”
- Bristol Hospital: Department of Nursing:
“Therapeutic Touch: An Extension of Professional Clinical Skills.” By Dr. Dolores Krieger, PhD, RN. September 25, 1993.
- National League for Nursing: “Child Abuse: Identification and Reporting.” New York, 1995.
- Massachusetts Medical Society:
“Literature and the Professions: A Workshop for Physicians.” July 18, 1997. Lakeville, MA.
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM):
“Nutrition as It Relates to Environmental Medicine.” July 24-25, 1991. Chicago, IL.
“16th Instructional Courses in Environmental Medicine.” July 26-28, 1991. Chicago, IL.
Practicum with Dr. William Rea, Environmental Health Center, Dallas, TX, Sept. 1991. “Environmental Medicine in Everyday Practice.” January 23-26, 1992. Cleveland, OH.
“Nutrition as It Relates to Environmental Medicine.” July 29-30, 1992. Dallas, TX.
“Environmental Medicine Advanced Instructional Course.” July 31-Aug 2, 1992. Dallas, TX.
“AAEM 27th Annual Meeting” Oct. 24-27, 1992. Lincolnshire, IL.
“30th Annual Meeting: The Cutting Edge of Environmental Medicine.” Sept. 29-Oct. 3, 1995. Tucson, AZ.
“Diagnosis & Treatment of Chemical Toxicity & Sensitivity, Basic & Advanced.” April 15-19, 2004. Overland Park, KS.
“Planet in Peril: Best Treatment Solutions for Tough Times”, October 31-November 2, 2008, Orlando, FL.
- HealthComm Seminars with Dr. Jeffrey Bland, PhD:
“Clinical Nutrition and Functional Medicine.” 1993. Stamford, CT.
“Applying Essentials in Nutritional Medicine.” 1995. Boston, MA.
“Improving Genetic Expression in the Prevention of the Diseases of Aging.” 1998. Boston, MA.
- American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM):
“Molecular Duality of Oxygen and Degenerative Disease: Strategies for Disease Reversal and Health Promotion.” May 6-9, 1993. Houston, TX.
“Chelation Therapy Workshop.” May 5-6, 1993.
“Cutting Edge Science in Clinical Practice.” May 1994. Minneapolis, MN.
“Cardiovascular Disease and Treatment-A Comprehensive Perspective.” May 9-12, 1996. Orlando, FL.
“Nutritional Intervention in Cancer Prevention and Treatment: Shifting the Paradigm” and
“Basic Longevity Workshop” April 29-May 3, 1998.
25th Anniversary Meeting: Phoenix, AZ: Nov. 19-22, 1998: “Cardiovascular Disease in the 21st Century: Prevention, Reversal, & Permanent Restoration.”
Also ACAM Conferences in Orlando, FL: May 1999, Reno, NV: Oct. 1999, Dallas, TX, May 2000, and Salt Lake City, UT: Oct. 2000. Nov. 2004. Mesotherapy Conference: Nov. 2004.
2008 Spring Conference, Orlando FL.
“Optimal Health Through Integrative Medicine”, Las Vegas, NV Nov. 2010.
- Broda O. Barnes, MD Research Foundation:
“Thyroid Disorders” by Jacques Hertoghe, MD. Fall, 1989. Stratford, CT.
“Treatment of Endocrine Imbalances.” November 1990. Trumbull, CT.
“Hypothyroidism, Adrenopause, Menopause, and Andropause.” October 1992. Trumbull, CT.
“Andropause: The Male Climacteric and its Consequences.” March 1993. Rye Brook, NY.
“The Art of Balancing the Endocrine System.” October 21, 1993. Lombard, IL.
“Applications of Dietary Endocrinology: Hyperinsulinemia, Obesity, and Type I & Type II Diabetes.” Sept. 22-24, 1995. Scottsdale, AZ.
“Spring 1997 Physicians Teaching Seminar.” April 4-6, 1997. Newport Beach, CA.
“The Latest Clinical Information on Balancing the Endocrine System.” March 27-29, 1998.
“Physicians’ Teaching Seminars” 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007.
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Clinical Teleconference Series: “New Advances in Growth Hormone Therapy”, 1997.
- Neuropathways Real-time Digital EEG Neurofeedback Training
Beverly Hills, CA, June 22-27, 1998.
- Practical Reviews in Complementary and Alternative Medicine:
An Evidence Based Approach. Monthly. 1998-1999.
- International College of Advanced Longevity Medicine:
“American Preventive Medical Association Legal Education Seminar”
“Quality of Life and Longevity Medicine”
“Advanced Longevity Workshop and Certification Exam.” Las Vegas, NV, May 7-11, 1998.
“Achieving Clinical Excellence: Genomics in Primary Care Medicine.” Westbrook, CT June 22, 2002.
- International College of Integrative Medicine: Biannual Congress: Sept. 1999, March 2001, Oct. 2001, March 2003, Sept. 2003.
- New Frontiers in Advanced Treatment Strategies and “Mercury: A Risk Realized” workshop. Baltimore, MD, March 22-25, 2001.
- ICIM Congress & “Nutrition and Psychiatric Disorders Seminar.” Cleveland, OH, Oct. 2-6, 2001.
- ICIM Congress & Heavy Metal Toxicology Workshop. St. Louis, MO, Sept. 10-14, 2003.
- ICIM Congress. March 2004, Houston TX.
- “Conventional & Integrative Therapies, What Works Best in Clinical Practice?” Oct. 10-12, 2004, Atlanta, GA.
- “Lyme Disease” March 11-13, and the Oxidative Medicine Workshop, March 9-10, 2005, Mesa, AZ.
- “Degenerative Disease – Regenerative Medicine” Sept. 16-18, 2005. Grand Rapids, MI.
- “Transformation in Health & Healing.” March 24-26, 2006. Chicago, IL
- “Clinical Applications of Biological Energetics”, Sept. 29-Oct 1, 2006. Cleveland, OH.
- “The Integrative Medical Paradigm” March 21-25, 2007. Cincinnati, OH
- “Symposium on the Integrative Care of Female Patients.” Sept. 21-23, 2007, Detroit, MI
- “Integrating Wellness into Medical Practice”, March 14-16, 2008, Nashville, TN
- “Getting Well with Food And Nutrition” October 2-5. 2008, Pittsburgh, PA.
- “Detoxification”, October 2-4, 2009. Grand Rapids, MI; Including “Advanced Course on Metal Toxicity, Remedies and Rationale, The Use by Terrorists of Compounded with Chelation Remedies.”
- “Healthy Brain, Healthy Body: Mental Wellness in the 21st Century”, March 19-21, 2010, Nashville, TN.
- “Infections” Sept. 23-26, 2010. Buffalo, NY.
- “Anchoring Stimulus-Response Conditioning”, “Saving A Million Hearts Forum”, and “Rapid Therapeutic Response”, Lexington KY, March 28-April 1, 2012.
- Advanced Integrative Medical Institute:
Integrative IV Chelation course, Pittsburgh, PA. April 2001.
- Designs for Health Institute:
Nutritional Pharmacology and Clinical Applications of Carnitine. October 1, 2002.
Management of Obesity, May 2003.
Practice Empowerment Series, Sept. 10-12, 2004.
Repairing Metabolic Damage in the Metabolic Syndrome. Oct. 1-2, 2005.
Women’s Health Issues Update, Presentation on Infrared Mammography, October 17, 2009.
Neurotransmitter Testing and Treatment in Clinical Practice. Sept. 28, 2005, Jan. 26, 2006.
High Performance Weight Loss and Associated Neurotransmitter Diseases.
ICIMXLVI International Congress, March 21-22, 2007.
- Scripps Institute’s “The Science and Clinical Application for Integrative Holistic Medicine” board review course for the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine. Chantilly, VA, October 4-9, 2009.
- Integrative Health Symposium: February 25-27, 2010, New York City, NY.
- Body Systems Analysis: 3 day basic training, Dallas, TX August 2010.
- iMosaic Conference, sponsored by the Integrative Medicine Consortium. April 8-10, 2011. Minneapolis, MN.
- Advanced Heavy Metals, April 6-7, 2011.
- Instinct Based Medicine System, Training May 27-29, 2011, Sept. 16-18. Charleston, SC.